Saturday, July 21, 2012

First Day Home

 I had been waiting for this day to come for a long time.  I was SO excited!  I was like a kid in a candy store, except that puppies are way better than candy!  

I dropped the kids off at school, came home to set up the puppy pen with puppy pee pads, a sleeping area (soft spot), food and water dishes and toys.  Then I collected all our puppy gear, towel, box, toy puppy, leash and collar and headed to the breeders.  

When I was researching for bringing the puppy home and the first day, I found a neat website written by Colby Morita called PuppyInTraining.com  He is a Guide Dog Puppy Raiser in the US.

One of his suggestion that I really liked is buying a stuffed dog (I got ours from Ikea and so did he).  When you go to pick up your puppy, rub the stuffy on the puppy siblings and parents so that they can have the scent of their pack.  This smell will be calming for the puppy.  I tried it for Rosie and it worked really well.  For the first week she treated the stuffy like a sibling and slept with it all the time.  During the night for the first month we also put a talking radio station on.  So together with the radio and stuffy she hardly whined at all, and part probably her personality too.  She only soiled the kennel or the puppy pen a couple times during the first month.  I was so amazed with her.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

She is so sweet and soft (it makes me happy just to pet her).  Of course she was a hit with the kids.  I got a couple hours with her before I had to go to pick the kids up again.  It was a good bonding time for us, and a good way to introduce her to our house and property.  The sun was shining and we just enjoyed each other in the calmness.  It was so good for my heart.

When the kids got home they each had to have a turn with her!  Of course!  First it was Drew's turn.  Drew was so calm with her.  They went outside and played for a while and then they lay down on the ground for about half an hour, just resting together.  Drew hadn't been that calm in a long time.  Then it was time for the twins to have a turn.  They took her in her pen, that would soon become her safe place, and "read" stories to her, she was so calm and laid beside them the whole time.  Sweet puppy love!  And a very good addition to our family.  

The next week she woke up and got used to living in a new place. . . . but we'll leave that for next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment